Ullock Pike and Carlside - 23/02/2016

Today I was working until lunchtime, so Richard decided to plan a late afternoon walk up to Ullock Pike. After finishing work it was back home and a quick change then in the car for the drive up towards Bassenthwaite Lake. We managed to find a layby on the road near Sandbeds Gill, so we decided to park there.

We ascended through what is known as the Rabbit Warren on the OS map, up towards Ling How. From here we headed right, along The Edge. The sun was starting to go down as we started ascending. Richard was determined to get to the summit of Ullock Pike to catch the sunset. As we neared the summit he started to get his camera set up. He was messing about with his camera when he asked me to look out towards Bassenthwaite Lake. He'd set the timer on his camera and then came running over to me to kiss me. He then went back to his camera to check the photo had turned out how he wanted. What happened next took me by surprise. He set the camera again, then ran across to me and got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I then realised that the first photo he took was a test to make sure he got the right shot for the proposal. It was a very special moment of my life and one I'll never forget.

From Ullock Pike, we continued to Longside Edge then finally to Carl Side. It was dark when we got to Carl Side so it was on with the head torches. We then descended to White Stones and headed West along Skill Beck, through the Old Plantation and finally back to the car.

5.5 miles and 2700 feet of ascent

Looking down to Bassenthwaite Lake
Ascending towards Ling How
Looking towards Bassenthwaite
Looking towards Skiddaw
Looking back towards Ling How
Looking towards Ullock Pike
Looking down from Ullock Pike
The Kiss
The Proposal


No comments:

Post a Comment